Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First Beauty Tuesday - All About Bronzer

Hi friends and family; I thought once a week would be a great time to post about beauty products and tips/tricks - you know, a few minutes without the guys? (Unless Corey gets on here to let you all know how much he despises loves my 100-bottle nail polish collection). Yes, 100 bottles. I needed 3 Swivel-Store contraptions to hold them all. I started this post Tuesday, but I am preparing for a job interview, so this week's Beauty Tuesday will be posted on Wednesday, and next week we will be back on track.

Let's talk Bronzers today - since I have to buy a new one after mine shattered and turned our upstairs bathroom tile grout a nice shade of...well, bronze. By bronzer, first of all, I don't mean the Jersey Shore spray tan that the girls call bronzer. I mean the face powder (or cream) meant to contour your face; this is similar to blush. Got it? Good.

 This was the bronzer I was using; Mary-Kate and Ashley (yes, Olsen) bronzer. Nice and cheap from Wal-Mart, though I don't really like the brush so I was using a different one.

Since that one broke, I've been using Pur Minerals 'Mineral Glow/Mineral Light' that you can find at Ulta.
The left side is the bronzer, and you can highlight under the brow or above the bronzer near the eye for a nice glow. I am just not in love with the bronze color, so my next beauty store trip will be to get a new shade of bronzer.


So what are my options? There are a thousand (if not more) choices, shades, brands, and consistencies for you to choose from when it comes to picking a nice brown-ish powder for your face. Bronzers range from tan to chocolate, shimmery, not shimmery, creamy, powdery, loose powder, gel, cream stick, you name it, you can get it.

This is Too Faced brand 'Snow Bunny.' For $29, it's up there in price, compared to any drug store brand, but with the four shimmery colors, this bronzer is my all-time favorite. All you have to do is swirl your brush in all of the colors, and do the "3 and E" method.

Wait, I'm guessing you don't know what that is. This website explains said technique: "On the right side of your face make a "3" from your hairline, across your cheek to your nose, and down to your chin. Repeat the same process on your left side making an "E". When you are done both sides go back across your nose and down your neck and chest. There is no need to put the brush back into the bronzer. Again, dipping multiple times will create an uneven or artificial look. "

Works every time!

Below is a list of bronzers I've tried and would recommend/not recommend. Happy bronzing!
  1. Bare Escentuals Faux Tan - LOVE! Loose powder with a nice brown color. I'm pretty fair and it is not too dark, so don't be scared that it looks a little like dirt.
  2. Bare Escentuals Warmth - Nice, natural color that is a loose powder.
  3. Cargo Waterproof Bronzer - nice color, and would recommend if you're going to be in humid weather.
  4. Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer - a creamy bronzer that smells like chocolate. Delish!
  5. Smashbox O Bronze - liquid/gel. You have to work quickly to put the bronzer where you want it to avoid spotty stains. I would not recommend for first-time bronzer use.
  6. My favorite cosmetics Brand, Urban Decay, unfortunately hasn't sold me on their bronzers. The color is too light for me, even with fair skin, so I just don't love it.
I don't have the experience with many drugstore brands (Minus the Mary Kate and Ashley brand) - totally love love love, by the way.  What bronzer are you wearing, or don't you? Remember that blush looks most natural on skin that sunburns, and bronzer looks best on skin that tans. I wear both, to accentuate my cheekbones and overall, I can't stand looking too pale.

Tell me about your bronzers, friends!

-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment